Monday, May 13, 2013

Fun Stuff: 30 Day Character Challenge

Time for another 30 day challenge! This time I'll be exploring the many characters of my favorite anime/games/manga, the ones I've loved, the ones I've hated, and the ones who give me nosebleeds all over the place. Once again, I'll be squeezing all 30 days in one post so you have all the questions at your disposal, but feel free to do it at whatever pace you want. Maybe one day I'll actually do one over the span of 30 days, too!



1. A character from your current favorite fandom
Kurogane from Tsubasa: Fai and Yuuko are technically my two favorite characters from the series, but Kurogane continually amazes me with the depths of the heart he keeps so well hidden. Even when the other characters fracture and fall apart around him, he always has his eyes open to what is making them suffer- particularly with Fai and Syaoran- and tries to get them to see the light and work through their difficulties. He really is Team Dad of the group. He may act gruff and distant, but more than anyone else, he cares about what happens to them.




2. A character from a previous favorite fandom

Ranulf from Fire Emblem: Still love him, in fact. He's a cheeky little scamp, but he really does get the short end of the stick when it comes to having to deal with people who are a lot bigger, stronger, and more idiotic than he is. Luckily, Ike proves to be a good pal, and he's got two very devoted followers in Lyre and Kyza- and me!

3. A character who looks like you

Hermione from most doujinshi of Harry Potter: Most Japanese anime characters don't have big 'ol curly hair, so I'll go with the Japanese fan art versions I've seen of Hermione Granger. My hair is a wee bit blonder, but it's voluminous and hard to tame!




4. A character who acts like you

Winry from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: I consider myself as having aspects to me that are both feminine and masculine, and I prefer to be independent, even though I don't mind having a small number of people around me that I can sincerely trust. I also give the guys in my life a hard time on a regular basis. It's how I show them I care- just like Winry!

5. A group of characters who is most like you and your friends

The main cast of Natsume Yuujinchou! We can get a bit odd and excitable at times, but when it comes down to it, we're there for each other, try to talk each other through our problems, and even when we don't understand each other's viewpoints and experiences perfectly, we try to put ourselves in each other's shoes.

6. The most annoying character

I'm tolerant towards most characters, but Shirley from Code Geass drives me crazy, as do Amarti from Spice & Wolf, Delphine from Last Exile, Van from Tales of the Abyss, and Ruka from Vampire Knight. 

7. The hottest character

Sebastian from Black Butler. A picture is worth a thousand words. 




8. The funniest character

Nodame from Nodame Cantabile. She never fails to crack me up! One of my favorite moments is when she's practicing French in a restaurant and works on a phrase to call for help against a rapist, making everyone believe her date Chiaki is the culprit! I also love Father Kanae from Maria Holic

9. A character who could be your best friend if they were real

For a guy friend, I want Ginji Amano from Get Backers (because as long as I'm cute, he'll put up with ANYTHING). For a gal pal, I'll take Ruki Kuchiki from Bleach because she's blunt and awesome and tries to explain complicated concepts with horrible pictures.

10. A character who taught you something about real life

Richter from Tales of Symphonia: "Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality."

11. A character who taught you something about love <3

Homura from Puella Magi Madoka Magica: "Even though I've lost my way, I will save you." And oh, how she does...




12. A character with the best quotes


Yuuko from xxxHolic: "Sincerity with respect to yourself! No matter what your objective…no matter who you are…if you are going to do something or not do something, that is a promise to yourself. And the one who keeps the promise, or breaks the promise, is you."


13. A boring character

Centers of harems or reverse harems can run into this problem if everyone loves them with little provocation. I had this problem with Yuki from Uragiri wa Boku and Touma from A Certain Magical Index among others. 

14. A character you wish was never introduced

Chii in the anime version of Tsubasa: Because Bee Train took her charming existence and forced it upon Fai in a filler episode even though it goes against one of the most beautiful CANON pairings of all time, Chii/Hideki, and not to mention the implied canon KuroFai. She's fine in the manga, though.

15. The smartest character

Holo from Spice & Wolf: Of course, being an ancient deity may have something to do with it, but she's absolutely running circles around Lawrence at the beginning of the series. He catches up with her in the second half, but she puts her feminine wiles, natural smarts, and craftiness to good use.




16. The dumbest character

Chiaki from Sekaiichi Hatsukoi: Your best friend hints that he has someone he loves. He asks to draw you nude. He gets all up in your personal space when talking about love. He practically tries to kiss you. He constantly puts down his rival for your love to your face. He confesses to you, asks you to take him seriously, and eventually pushes you down when you don't give him a clear answer. HOW DO YOU NOT REALIZE HE SERIOUSLY LOVES YOU?!?

17. The most awful, mean, evil character you know

Ni Jianyi from Saiyuki: A jerk of all trades. He was a jerk as a monk, a jerk scientist, and a jerk as one of the bad guys. Kami-sama and Kougaiji among others should deck that loser in the face for having not a single redeeming quality to him.

18. An animal character you like

Nyanko-sensei from Natsume Yuujinchou. A fat, butt ugly cat who doubles as a badass youkai who loves to get drunk? Oh, heck yes!

19. A sci fi character you like (alien, robot, etc.)

Ichika from Ano Natsu de Matteru: She may be an alien, but she's a beautiful, warm hearted individual above all else. And that's the way I'd like to think of anyone who may exist in this universe other than us.





20. A fantasy character you like (elves, dwarves, etc.)

Dirk from Tales of Symphonia: Not only is he an avid over-sharer of inspiration advice like myself, but he's a dwarf cool enough to raise a human child bigger than him and still send him sailing across the room whenever he acts like an idiot.

21. A paranormal character you like (vampire, werewolf, etc.)

Touda/Mokkun from Shounen Onmyouji: My favorite Shikigami! He has a lot of guts to align himself with Masahiro and serve as his defender, even though he struggles fiercely with his volatile nature and past betrayal of someone who trusted him.  

22. The best singer

Mio from K-on!: Sorry, Yui! I love Mio's lower range voice, especially on the rock based closing themes of the show. I also love Shuichi (vocals by Kinya) from Gravitation, since every song on that OST is AMAZING.

23. The best dancer

Tiger/Bunny/Blue Rose from Tiger and Bunny: Even if Tiger was off by a beat, that dance routine they practice together is great. Especially when Kotetsu and Barnaby perform the whole thing in their hero suits, including the sexy head throw at the end!

24. The character with the best laugh

Light from Death Note: That laugh when he finally reveals he's Kira... it is the stuff of legends.





25. The character who makes you cry when they cry

Subaru from X: Because nothing is sadder than when he is forced to kill Seishirou in the same manner his sister was killed. In fact, everything about Subaru makes me want to cry. And give him a tight, never ending hug.

26. An underrated character

Sakura from Tsubasa: After kicking ass in Cardcaptor Sakura, she's rendered pretty ineffective through the majority of Tsubasa, and gets a bit of grief for being in a coma or told to stay out of the way when anything major happens. Let it be known that this dramatically changes after she wakes up in the Tokyo arc. That girl goes on a suicidal mission all by herself in Tokyo, and then becomes tougher than nails in Infinity to prepare for the future she wants to unfold. Even though she comes off as cold during these events, it's not at all without reason.

27. An overrated character

Hmmm, tricky. I'm going to say Misaka from A Certain Scientific Railgun/Magical Index, not because I dislike her per se, but because her sisters and Last Order are a million times cooler AND way more honest. 

28. A character you absolutely hate
Ruka from Vampire Knight, as mentioned earlier. She does improve with time, but I don't know how many times I screamed at my TV because she was acting like a bitch because of Kaname when the perfectly amazing Kain was around and more worth her notice.





29. A character that makes you flashback to your childhood

Little Sam and Max after you drink from the fountain of youth in Moai Better Blues: The things they say... I love how they suddenly start calling everything stupid and dumb, just like I did when I was little.

30. A character you will love and remember for the rest of your life

Fai from Tsubasa: I really could go on and on and on about why I love him, but to keep it simple... I'm inspired by his growth as an individual, and how Kurogane, Syaoran, and Sakura take him from a person willing to treat his life like nothing into someone who can see the value not only in others, but most importantly in himself.



No comments:

Post a Comment