Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Theme Spotlight: Wareta Ringo



I'm usually drawn to the anime themes that work the best as stand alone pieces, but From the New World (Shinsekai Yori)'s "Wareta Ringo" was one I enjoyed specifically based on context. When I listen to it on its own, it's a good song, but nothing too spectacular when you consider that most anime themes released recently have been A) By female singers/seiyuu and B) J-Pop. But when placed next to an episode of From the New World with its almost soul crushing world and dark atmosphere, the sounds reminiscent of a broken video game cartridge at the beginning of "Wareta Ringo" just make sense. The whole series carries what Diana Wynne Jones refers to as the "reek of wrongness," and I love that little bit of offbeat-ness to Rise Taneda's vocal. But without From the New World giving me the right mindset and atmosphere, the song doesn't always do it for me on its own. That's why anime and music often make the perfect pair in how they help each other out when necessary!

The cast looks moe, but they'll stamp on your heart and kick it to the depths of despair. Just sayin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment