Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Song Spotlight: Sakura


Ikimonogakari's Kiyoe Yoshioka has one of the purest vocals of J-pop in my opinion, and though her high-range and tender voice is on par with what you'd expect for a Japanese female pop singer, the way she emotes with every word she sings and fully embraces the meaning of the song's story is above and beyond her rivals. The first Ikimonogakari song I can remember hearing was "Hanabi," from Bleach, which led me straight to what I believe is the group's best single to date, "Sakura." Cherry blossoms are a subject that many Japanese songs tackle, but none has overwhelmed me with a sense of beauty and longing quite like this track. Add that to the lyrics, and you've got yourself a track as soft and lovely as the blossoms themselves! 



No comments:

Post a Comment